"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone."
-- Rod Serling, The Twilight Zone: Complete Stories
Another Dimension Magazine is the evolution of Wily Writers Speculative Fiction Podcast. It has a more focused theme, that of classic-style Horror and Dark Fantasy, as seen on the television shows Night Gallery and The Twilight Zone, produced and often written by Rod Serling. We are doing blatant homage to these wonderful contributions to these genres. We'll release issues quarterly in both text and audio formats.
What We're Looking For
We've identified elements that we're looking for in the stories we'll buy:
- An interesting and well-thought-out lead character, first and foremost.
- Supernatural elements or alternate reality/history.
- The genres of either Horror or Dark Fantasy. The various subgenres of Horror are perfectly acceptable, such as SciFi Horror.
- A commentary on the world we live in (however metaphorically). Say something with your story.
- A surprising climax. Take us by surprise, if you can.
- Impressive imagination -- show us a different culture or an alternate world.
Submissions need to follow the guidelines listed below.
- Name your file so that it makes sense. An impressive filename for a fiction submission is: (lastname)-(word from title).RTF
[like this: mccoy-darkness.rtf]
- Word count: 1000 - 3000 (Firm. Do not query).
- Use standard manuscript formatting. (more info)
- Simultaneous submissions to other publishers are okay.
- Do not submit more than once to the same issue. You may submit only one story to each issue.
- Gore, sex, and adult language okay, but make sure it improves the story.
- Use good grammar, double-check your punctuation, and run a spell-check. We prefer Chicago Manual of Style rules, and we will reject it if it's a mess, even if it's an amazing story. If you're bad at grammar and spelling, then hire an editor or bribe a friend with cookies to help you before you submit it. Otherwise, you don't look like the kind of serious writer we expect.
- We may request revisions, so if you're not open to them, then let us know in your cover letter. It will save us all some time if you communicate that up-front.
- We will accept reprints. Make double sure that the rights have reverted to you. By submitting it to us, you affirm that it has been freed from all other commitments that conflict with the rights you give us. You do not need to let us know in the cover letter that it is a reprint, but we will ask you to affirm its ownership and copyright status in the contract if we choose your story. You're responsible for knowing if it's available.
- We reserve the right to change these guidelines without notice.
Response Time: We will respond within six months of the appropriate issue's deadline.
Pay: We pay 3 cents per word. We pay via Paypal or check.
Rights: With this payment, we're buying the non-exclusive right to publish the story in audio, digital print, and print versions. We're also buying the non-exclusive right to publish it in ebook, print, and audiobook in a "Best of..." anthology, if the story is chosen for one.
Your story will automatically be a candidate for a "Tales from Another Dimension" anthology at a later date.
Submit to Another Dimension Magazine via our online submission form.
- ISSUE 1: October 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
- ISSUE 2: January 1, 2015 - March 31, 2015
- ISSUE 3: April 1, 2015 - June 30, 2015
- ISSUE 4: July 1, 2015 - September 31, 2015
Address queries to Angel McCoy at angel.leigh.mccoy at gmail.